| Staff REPORTER |
ITANAGAR, May 18: The Arunachal Pradesh Indigenous Youth Organization (APIYO) has questioned the State Govt’s response to the issue of alleged illegal mosques and undocumented immigrants in the state.
Addressing a press conference here on Monday, APIYO president Taro Sonam Liyak said the organisation had earlier held a roundtable meeting with Chief Minister Pema Khandu, Home Minister Mama Natung and senior Govt officials on January 27 this year.
According to Liyak, APIYO had submitted a list of alleged illegal under-construction mosques in the Itanagar Capital Region and raised concerns regarding immigrants residing in the state. He stated that the Chief Minister had assured the organisation of strict action against illegal constructions and illegal immigrants, but alleged that no visible action has been taken so far.
Liyak further said that APIYO had recently sought permission to organise a peaceful rally in Itanagar on May 22 in support of its demands and alleged that the Itanagar Capital Police denied permission for the programme.
“We want to fight for our demands democratically, but we fail to understand why the district administration and police denied our appeal,” he said. He warned that if permission is not granted, the organisation may intensify democratic protests, including a bandh call.
However, responding to the allegation, Itanagar Superintendent of Police Jummar Basar clarified that Capital Police had not denied a No Objection Certificate (NOC) to APIYO.
In a clarification issued on Monday, the SP stated that based on credible inputs and considering the prevailing sensitive law and order situation in the ICR, Capital Police had appealed to APIYO to defer the proposed rally to a more appropriate date in the larger interest of public peace and safety.
The matter was conveyed to APIYO secretary general Tapor Maying during a meeting held earlier in the day. “Capital Police has never denied, nor will it deny, permission to any organisation for any lawful rally or dharna conducted in a peaceful and lawful manner,” the SP stated.
He further clarified that the appeal for deferment was made purely as a precautionary measure to prevent anti-social elements from taking advantage of such a large gathering and disturbing public order.
APIYO has been advocating for the identification and deportation of undocumented migrants allegedly residing in the ICR, regulation of religious structures, including demolition of unauthorized mosques and madrasas, and a total ban on unregulated weekly markets which it claims are being used as entry points by illegal immigrants.